Man who stabbed two teenage girls, killing one, in Sydney hotel room jailed for at least 26 years

Kristian Kovaleff feigned mental illness until he realized he couldn’t fool the forensic psychologist, the judge said. When asked about the Man Who Stabbed Killing Two Girl

A Man Who Stabbed Killing Two Girl. Then pretended to be mentally ill until realising he could not fool forensic psychologists. Has been jailed for at least 26 years.

Kristian Kovaleff, 21, pleaded guilty to murder and wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

The two 17-year-old girls he stabbed. One who survived the December 2020 attack inside a Parramatta Meriton hotel room while celebrating the other’s upcoming 18th birthday. Cannot be identified.

Justice Stephen Rothman sentenced Kovaleff to at least 26 years’ jail in the New South Wales supreme court on Thursday.

Kovaleff had feigned mental illness and the judge believed he told the court what he thought it wanted to hear during his sentencing.

“I do not accept, even to the lowest standard, balance of probability, the expression of remorse for his conduct,”. Rothman said.

Kovaleff planned to kill one of the girls in a Campbelltown motel the week before but told the court. He did not have the “guts” and knew he could “psych [himself] up by watching Ted Bundy”. Rothman said Kovaleff decided to wait a week and kill both girls after learning of their plans to spend a night together at the Meriton.

“The planning for one murder was quite deliberately broadened to two murders,” he said.

He killed the teenager a week later.

The other girl asked him to call an ambulance twice after he stabbed her as she blocked the door of the bedroom where her friend was dying.

Rothman said the murdered girl could have survived if she had received prompt medical treatment.

Kovaleff’s public defender, Tony Evers, said the duct tape was brought “in part to silence any screams”, but the bandaging showed he was remorseful after stabbing the two girls.

“He took steps … to try and treat [the wounded girl],” Evers said at a pre-sentence hearing in February.

“The offender clarified he had wrapped the wounding victim with clothing and duct tape to keep her alive so as to have sex with her,”. Rothman said on Thursday.

Kovaleff eventually called for an ambulance, but hung up. When they called back he told the operator someone else attacked the “one person dead and another bleeding out inside room 111”.

He conceded his desire to have sex with the wounded girl and then kill her were “maybe not” unrelated urges in February.

She survived, after vomiting blood and spending eight days in hospital.

The murdered girl’s sisters told the court in February of the impact the “heartless” murder has had on their family. One had to translate for her parents. The news delivered by two police officers in the middle of the night that her sister had been stabbed.

Her father sings sad songs and paces around the house crying into the early hours of the morning. While her mother keeps returning to the library. Where she brought her daughter water as she studied the day before her death, the court heard.

Rothman said the family’s loss was “indescribably horrible”, as were the injuries inflicted by Kovaleff.

Kovaleff has been in custody since December 2020 and has been sentenced to 34 years for murder, with a non-parole period of 24 years.

The wounding charge resulted in an additional two years he will spend in prison. Kovaleff is eligible for parole on 19 December, 2046.


Categories: Crime


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *